Oracle Designer, a powerful... time-waster

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: 14 Apr 2003 01:22:47 -0700

[Quoted] Can anybody explain why a third party tool like Sybase PowerDesigner works a thousand times better with an Oracle database than the Oracle tool (Oracle Designer) itself?
I lost the count of the hours I've lost due to different errors that the infamous Oracle Designer raises. From insolit error messages to 'cannot read memory' Windows errors. Continously failing in the reverse engineering of an Oracle database, inserting unwritable characters in the PL/SQL definitions of triggers and procedures, creating 16 character name codes for the objects... that are not unique!! Simply a nightmare.
I decided to work with a PowerDesigner Beta(!) version and everything works just fine!! And much quicker too!
Maybe the Oracle SGRDB is better than Sybase's, but in the design tools field, Sybase is a lightyear distance ahead. Received on Mon Apr 14 2003 - 10:22:47 CEST

Original text of this message