Re: isqlplus

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:58:35 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> Detailed in a later response. Basically an NT admin needs to be able to
> run a simple count of database users. I figured giving him a URL to do it
> would be the easiest/fastest thing for him to use and not require loading
> the oracle client on his workstation.

Still moderate confusion regarding the validity of proposal - allowing a snapshot of the load will not provide any significant statistical information. I'm assuming the reason for 'user count' has a statistical or analysis reason rather than 'just curious'.

Especially if you have additional Oracle databases, I would encourage you to consider the 3-tier OEM console. All interaction can be through a browser (no s/w installed) and you get this, and many more capabilities. Also has some (limited) ability to look at the OS, which may benefit the NT admin.

You may also want to set up a job & populate a user count table periodically. If the admin is fairly typical, 2 weeks after giving the ability to browse, you'll get requests for history and/or logging or grousing that s/he "missed that update". This sounds like the beginning of another "quick and simple, and then it's in the corp. procedure manual" monster <g>.

Your original question implied a 'batch job', and I agree with Daniel that iSQLPlus is not the normal, or preferred, mechanism for invoking batch jobs. As long as you manage usernames, passwords & accesses properly, I'm not aware of any security risks with this casual access through iSQLPlus. /Hans Received on Fri Mar 28 2003 - 16:58:35 CET

Original text of this message