Re: Utl_file.

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 13:06:53 +0100

bill turner wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:35:25 +0100, Sybrand Bakker
> <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

[Quoted] [Quoted] >>On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 22:33:22 +0000, Alexxx12
>><member14441_at_dbforums.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The path is correct. Why am I getting this error??
>>

>>Utl_file can't work with files on a  client as it is running on the
>>server
>>

>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

> I have a similar problem as the original poster. I did some research.
> From what I read in the Oracle documenation, it is possible to use
> UTL_FILE on the client side. Unless I completely misinterpreted what
> was being said, you could use the funciton on both server and client
> side. For the the server side, however, an entry was required in
> init.ora (or some such thing). Since this is Sunday, and I do not have
> the documentation with, I cannot quote from it. I did read this in
> both the PL/SQL documentation and Supplied Products (?) documentation.
> It was exactly for the reason to understand what Oracle meant by
> client and server side or to get other input as to why I received the
> "invalid path" error. I DO think I understand what is meant by client
> side. So, assuming that I did understand the documentation properly,
> does it mean that some package needs to be installed on the client?
>
> bill

Afternoon, Bill.

First of all - the internet is open on SUndays as well ;-) And you are right. I salvaged a complete set of paper manuals from a previous employer, and there it is. pg 8-16 of the PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference; Release 2.3 (A32542-1)

"PL/SQL File I/O is available on both client and server sides. However, on the server side, file access is restricted to those directories explicitly listed on the accessible directories list, which is stored in the Oracle initialization file."

Now - I do not think you can use server side PL/SQL to open a client side file. I think you need client side PL/SQL -like forms- to perform client side PL/QL file I/O. That is not very clearly stated in the above, nor in the PL/SQL Application Developer's Guide (that merely states UTL_FILE is similar to TEXT_IO, as far as the client side is concerned)

Frank Received on Sun Feb 09 2003 - 13:06:53 CET

Original text of this message