Re: Slightly off-topic

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2003 16:37:17 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E27A073.DD3130F7_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Pablo Sanchez wrote:
>
> > Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in news:3E272741.2010600_at_netscape.net:
> >
> > > Any of you remember Rbase:2000?

I remember it but never used it.

> > Hey Frank,
> >
> > I remember it but never used it. Do you remember UNIFY and ACCEL/IDS?

I did ACCELL/UNIFY in the '80's/early 90's. So I knew what to watch for when Oracle got referential integrity! Still get ocassional junk mail from unify.

> > And right beforing hitting the hay last night, I remembered the other
> > HP product I was using: Image/3000 heh heh! Yup, I actually learned COBOL
> > to work with Image/3000
> > --
> > Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
> > http://www.hpdbe.com
>
> I ante up with Fortran IV on an IBM 360 with boxes of punch cards.

I did watfor in high school and after college I took a COBOL course where they upgraded from a 360 to a 4340 in the middle of the course and I was impressed that my compile times went from 3 minutes to 17 seconds. I still have some decks of cards, I believe.

> Anybody out there remember PDPs with 8K RAM or XDS or Lockheed or CDC or
> Honeywell or breadboards? Feel free to jump in.

I started professionally on an 11/34 with 128KW if I recall correctly - they had an 8, but contracted to a company that specialized in assembler programming for NC. Still have two 11's in my basement... Still recognize some names on alt.pdp... I remember when '70s had more powerful I/O than vaxen.

> BTW: Anyone have any of those knitting needles we used to use to sort
> databases?

No, but I do recall something about the knitting needles and the Tabernacle Choir...

> Daniel Morgan

jg

--
_at_home is bogus.