Re: Do I have to pay for extra installation Clients Components? - Spell Check and additional stuff

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 17:27:54 -0000

"TurkBear" <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote in message news:34hsuug6tihhks50lqu6q9dh0g10pgnc2r_at_4ax.com...
> TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us> wrote:
>
> >If I understand Oracle's licensing ( right, its like saying you
understand string theory), it is the RDMBS that is actually
> >licensed..You can have as many client installations as you want but for
them to connect to the server requires the
> >appropriate # of named users licensed or you can have the processor-type
license which allows unlimited connections by
> >unlimited users...

I agree entirely.

> OK its really a RDBMS -( not a RDMBS)

even though I missed the typo.

> The named users are the usernames allowed to be created , so if you have a
20 named user license, then you can have 20 login
> IDs - I think- These can be USED however, from any number of client
machines...

Now I disagree entirely. A named user is (in my understanding) a single system accessing the database. If it weren't then presumably our Financial System could be licensed for 4 users (SYS,SYSTEM,MTSSYS and the application account) despite having 2500 people using it. Transferring from UTLSTAT to STATSPACK would require another licence to be bought etc. The definition of named user plus is available at store.oracle.com and states

"is defined as an individual authorized by you to use the programs which are installed on a single server or multiple servers, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the programs at any given time. A non human operated device will be counted as a named user plus in addition to all individuals authorized to use the programs, if such devices can access the programs. If multiplexing hardware or software (e.g., a TP monitor or a web server product) is used, this number must be measured at the multiplexing front end. "

Nothing about login id's.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA