Re: Oracle Advanced Replication

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 01:21:24 GMT

Sometimes you have to read between the lines to understand what "desupport" means. Sometimes it means more than the fact that you can no longer call tech support. Sometimes the release notes for a newer version will inform you that they have pulled the backward compatibility routines from the software. I'm not working with 9i, so I don't know what the release notes say ... but they should tell you how they define "desupport" in this case.

harpreet wrote:

> Thanks for the information , the set up of replication that I am
> trying to set up has data flowing in one direction only , from the 9i
> master to 8.0.6 and not from 8.0.6 back to 9i . In such a scenarios
> there should be no conflicts . The reason we want asynch replication
> is that as soon as a change is made to the 9i master its propogated to
> 8.0.6 .
> What is 8.0.6 not supported on ? (Replication is not backward
> compatible ?) Or is it just a version issue where 9i and 8.0.6 are to
> far apart ? Would appreciate the answer .
>
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<jqnnuucu16ohhpflf2qh53sdeacmmtdbji_at_4ax.com>...
>

>>On 2 Dec 2002 13:27:37 -0800, harpreetsingh1_at_yahoo.com (harpreet)
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I want to set up asynchronus replication of transactions in oracle . I
>>>want to use oracle 9i to be the master or masters . The
>>>replicated/recieving site runs on oracle 8.0.6 . Is this configuration
>>>supported by oracle , where 9i master can propagate changes to lower
>>>versions(8.0.6) ?
>>>If possible , are there any caveats or pre requisits to do so ? Also
>>>any tips on the subject .
>>

>>8.0.6 is not supported, and likely you are going to run into problems
>>by setting up the higher version database as the master defining site.
>>
>>The main caveat is that when you have master/master replication (so
>>the other site is not a mere 'snapshot site') and you don't set up a
>>conflict resolution mechanism to process deferred transactions, you
>>will sink in a swamp of unresolved problems.
>>One of my customers ran into this problem *more than 3 years ago*,
>>they didn't notice it, and you don't want to know the state of that
>>database right now.
>>

>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
> Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 02:21:24 CET

Original text of this message