Re: Oracle Discoverer ?!

From: Richard Smith <richard.smith25_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:51:27 GMT

In our experience, the lost functionality of web vs client in doscoverer is vastly outweighed by not having to support users installing the client on their pc's, laptops etc. we give them a url link from our intranet page, it detectes if they have JInitiator installed (automatically installs it for them the first time they visit) and then they're off creating workbooks.

A few power-users have had occasions where they needed subquery functionality (available in client not web). In those cases, we created the subquery with parameters in a workbook for them and saved it to db so they could run as needed.

Printing is bad for web (v.4.1.43.04)... but better than previous releases (3i, 4.1.37) which were just unusable. We've also found that most users generate their queries in Discoverer and then export the data to excel for additional analysis. Part of that is due to them getting data form multiple (internal/external) sources and needing to compare data.

Also, don't bother using the Microsoft JVM with Discoverer; since we switched to jinitiator our calls for hung browsers and lost connections have dropped substantially.