Re: Just done my first app in Forms!

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:58:20 +0200

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3DA5C599.4DE12E47_at_exesolutions.com...
> Nick wrote:
>
> > Just done (yeah, almost, unless some bugs discovered) my first app in
Oracle
> > Forms 6i
> > It's a pretty simple system and yet I needed to code around 2,000 lines
> >
> > Having used Access for some time, my impression is that Access wins
hands
> > down in developing front-ends.
> >
> > Forms 6i has a lot of small annoyance, and not as intuitive as Access.
> >
> > Can someone give me a reason or two I should still stick with Forms
then?

> > Nick
>
> My impression is that like most newbies you wrote 1900 lines of
superfluous code
> because you didn't know how to take advantage of built-in capabilities
like
> inheritance.

Maybe this is because they nowhere found tips _how_ to do it.

I am a newbee to Forms, too, started half a year ago, before that I had some Oracle db background.
Menawhile I have come to think that Forms is even 3times more difficult to learn than Forms. Why ?

Although Oracle db is the most complex RDBMS in the world, it is _far better documentated than Forms_.
Much less books about it (and in German e.g., no actual literature about _at all_ ) :(
[Quoted] So I achieved some english books, but there is a terrible gap between books for the dummies and for the experts.
RTFMing on Forms is the toughest thing I have ever seen.

Is this because Forms are not _so_ widely spread out there, as the forum at OTN assumes it ? I donīt know.

It is just my impression. Am I the only one ?

Yours, Jan Received on Fri Oct 11 2002 - 11:58:20 CEST

Original text of this message