Re: New SqlPlus type utility available for download

From: Jennifer <sweetiwpie183_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2002 20:51:32 -0700

ali_bongo_at_yahoo.com (Alison Holloway) wrote in message news:<e32c1d1b.0208252244.57b9c6d1_at_posting.google.com>...
> sweetiwpie183_at_yahoo.com (Jennifer) wrote in message news:<f29fd891.0208240550.527ec32_at_posting.google.com>...

> > It's funny. I met the Toad-dude at OOW last year and asked who his
> > largest users was and he told me Oracle Consulting. Only they mostly
> > arent willing to admit it or pay for it.
>
> What do you see as your needs? What sort of things do you do that you
> don't find are satisfied by Oracle Tools? Do you want it all in one
> interface? What features would you get rid of if you had to have
> everything in one interface? Do you do development, or DBA work?

First, no Java. Period. Oracle's Java based tools are slower than a two-legged dog. So ditch the Java. The first three rules of good code are speed, speed, and speed. Second, Proc Builder and Sql WorkSheet are horrible guis and need major rework. Just spend a few days in TOAD and you'll get my drift. I am primarily a DBA but have to do development when I "fix" a developer's queries or code.

Go through OEM window by Window and then go through the 7.4 beta of TOAD for the corresponding window. Compare the speed, ease of use, gui design, etc. Compare the thoroughness of features on each window.  And as a last resort, ask your users what they think since most of them seem to have defected to TOAD anyway. Or ask your developers in Oracle Consulting why they prefer TOAD over Proc Builder. Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 05:51:32 CEST

Original text of this message