Re: ASP Design Question

From: GP <g_palgrave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2002 20:56:18 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3D231252.6F2D143C_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Guido van Verseveld wrote:
>
> > I am investigating the best way to set up our product and database up for an
> > ASP model. This model should be able to support from 1 to 100 different
> > users, which each should have their own set of data.
> >
> > I can think of 2 ways:
> > 1. Create a separate schema for each user, but I can foresee a maintenance
> > nightmare with that option;
> > 2. Add an ID to each table, relating it to the logged in user, maybe
> > partitioning the tables per this ID. The impact would be greater in the
> > application, but I would only have to maintain one schema.
> >
> > I would like to hear from others who have tackled this issue of have other
> > ideas.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guido van Verseveld
>
> Option 1. And I can't imagine why you think this is a maintenance nightmare.
> I've had databases with 100,000+ users and it was easily handled.
>
> Daniel Morgan

I'd imagine having to maintain identical data structures for every user would soon become a very large PITA when you had to roll out a table change, or a new version of the schema.

If you really think that would be fine for 100,000+ users, then I'd say you may end up rather busy... :)

Option 2 is more manageable from the DBA perspective. You may need to look at using views or some other security mechanism to ensure UserA can't touch UserB's data etc. Security via the ASP application may be OK, but what if they connect via some other client?

Good Luck Received on Thu Jul 04 2002 - 05:56:18 CEST

Original text of this message