Re: Need Suggestions on a Development Environment

From: John Edwards <jedwrs_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:09:37 +0100

> Your friend is heading in the wrong direction. You don't design procedures
out
> of the database into the form. You design it out of the forms into the
database.
> At least you do if performance and scalability matter.

In principle I agree - but for this application procedures on the database are not a prerequisite for successful implementation. By removing this constraint I felt more development environments or third party embedded databases may be useable eg mysql.

> I see no reason why you couldn't use Oracle Forms as it would give you the
> ability to offer a web front-end but if that isn't what you want to do
then
> anything from VB to ASP to C++ to Java to PowerBuilder, etc is available.

It terms of functionality it works ok in forms but I think that overall the user interface appears a bit staid.

> Why do you think Oracle Forms is too heavy? Are you mistaking the
development
> environment for the run-time environment?

I may be slightly off the mark because things have definitely moved on since I was developing but as I remember an oracle runtime installation was required to run a form which may not fit with the concept of downloading a single zip install file for the entire app. Also forms talks nicely to an Oracle DB but in my experience it was problematic with other databases.

Thanks for your input.

JED. Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 01:09:37 CEST

Original text of this message