Re: JDeveloper rant...

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 17:06:10 -0700

"Watchman" <dmalone_at_attglobal.net> wrote in message news:<fr4R8.102678$831.56996_at_news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> I'll say this for JDeveloper as an IDE. It looks like an incredibly well
> integrated and powerful product but it doesn't integrate very well with
> other vendors' databases and support is non-existent.
[...]
> I've been struggling for
> over a week. Most people won't have that much patience.

Dean:

I am facing similar problems, so I symphatize. Have you considered alternatives to JDeveloper? I purchased JBuilder 7 SE which has a very reasonable price (as opposed to JBuilder 7 EE which has an exorbitant price tag), and I also downloaded -but haven't installed or used- JDeveloper.

I feel very hesitant to use a product that only connects properly to one database (Oracle). Don't get me wrong, I really like Oracle and have no plans to connect to anything other than Oracle, but still like to know that I could if I ever wanted to.

[Quoted] There is a very simple barrier to using the JBuilder-OracleJDBC combination: Oracle obviously won't tell you how to do it (and why should they? it's not their job), but the infuriating part is that Borland won't help much either, prefering instead to try to force you to purchase their Enterprise Edition.

Once I figured out how to install the Oracle JDBC driver on my JBuilder, everything is real smooth and working properly.

If anyone is interested I'll publish the details to solve the above artificial "problem".

Regards,

-Ramon F. Herrera Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 02:06:10 CEST

Original text of this message