Re: can discover nodes but not databases

From: David Simpson <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:08:54 GMT

Barry,

I had this same problem yesterday on a new Oracle 9i install. The error message in the log for the agent indicated that the database wasn't being seen by the agent. It turned out that there was a DNS problem at the client site such that pinging servername.domain didn't work, but pinging servername without the domain name worked Ok. So I made this change in my listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files and it started working. Generally it is a good idea to delete the *.q files in the agent directory along with the services.ora file too. These get rebuilt when the agent starts up.

I found Metalink document id# 166935.1 to be helpful when I was doing my troubleshooting.

David Simpson
www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net