Re: Oracle web applictation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:54:04 -0700

Tom Holder wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm challenged with the task of creating an Oracle web app (in ASP.NET -
> I'll tackle this little problem when I get there).
>
> So far I only have experience of developing web apps for SQL Server -
> although I am fairly proficient with SQL Server 2000 I have to say, after
> installing Oracle I am a little bit frightened.
>
> Just so you can gage my level of experience this is how far I have got
> currently:
>
> I've installed the database on a spare server.
> I've installed the client apps on my laptop and have worked out after a bit
> of work how to connect to the server with the enterprise manager app (how
> nasty is this by the way?).
> I've created a user, but can't seem to log on as it.
> I've connected to the database through visual studio and can see loads of
> tables.
>
> I have tried creating a table for my web app but I haven't got a clue which
> shema/table space or whatever they are called I should put them into.
>
> Also, should the web app run off of one user? And is there a suitable
> default user or should I create one? If I need to create one what
> permissions should I give it?
>
> Could someone please point me to some beginner documentation explaining all
> of the Oracle objects etc and where I should put stuff.
>
> Also any good book references for a complete Oracle novice would be greatly
> apreciated.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Tom

Likely some will find this response 100% predictable and they are correct. Go to:
http://tahiti.oracle.com - choose your version and ask your questions also

http://docs.oracle.com
http://technet.oracle.com
http://otn/oracle.com

and finally ... purchase a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read the first three chapters without skipping a sentence. The rest of the book is good too ... but you have a lot of unlearning to do if you want to be successful with Oracle.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jun 24 2002 - 06:54:04 CEST

Original text of this message