Re: Calling SQL*Loader from a Procedure

From: Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:47:50 -0400

On 22 Jun 2002 13:14:14 -0700, flyinghigh1962_at_yahoo.com (Clyde) wrote:

>Thanks for the ideas--gives me something to work with. I'm just kind
>of surprised that there isn't a more elegant/efficient/automatic way
>of calling SQL*Loader from a package. I assume that users importing
>new data into a database is a regular occurence. Have you run across
>this issue, and how did you handle it?

Interactively importing new data into a database is not a regular occurrence on the projects I have been on. Importing data into the database on a regular basis is a reasonably normal occupance, usually involving some procedural work to merge the new data into the database.

If I use SQL*Loader, I load the data into a work table where it can be processed. Based on data comparison, data can be either, ignored (unchanged), added (new), updated (modified), or rejected (invalid).

Alternatively, the data is parsed by a program that makes the above determinations and reacts accordingly.

If you noticed a lack of deletes above, they are treated as updates.

/Bill