Re: 8I Client - Multi Application access

From: Fred Puhan <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:27:26 -0400

[Quoted] In article <Vq1M8.556$a11.355_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,  "J. Christopher" <jchristophergroup_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Sorry for the vague question. The workstation is Windows 2000 Pro. We have
> two separate applications that login to two different 8i db's, on separate
> servers. The issue is each application installs its own 8.1.7 client. When
> installed, the installation continues to disable the other applications
> ability to access its database. To me, being a novice, it appears the
> registry entries are getting changed to work with the installation that was
> just completed. I merged tnsnames.ora, but it did not help.

Each application installs its own Oracle client? Isn't that overkill? I've never heard of this. Nonetheless, if this is the case, and the switch to its "own" version is hard-coded into the application, I think the answer is either to use the TNS_ADMIN parameter to always point to your merged TNSNAMES.ORA file, or simply copy your merged TNSNAMES.ORA file to both versions' $ORACLE_HOME\network\admin (or \Net8\Admin) directories.

I don't think I'll ever understand the thinking of software developers who consider their products a "closed" system.

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...