Re: Multi-target data modeller and schema generator

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:45:37 +0100

In message <3CF68366.8891F9FE_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> writes
>Jim Smith wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a data modeller (ER diagrams +...) which can generate
>> DDL for multiple DBMSs. Oracle and SQL Server are a must, but the more
>> the merrier.
>>
>> A company I am doing some work for has a SQL Server based product that
>> they want to make more portable. I am porting it to Oracle for them, and
>> am also looking at general portability issues.
<SNIP>
>But on the serious side ... if anyone thinks that reverse engineering
>something in Erwin, or for that matter any product, is going to make an
>application portable I'd advise updating your resume and cleaning out your
>desk before the rush.

Reverse engineering was never mentioned, but in fact I've already reverse engineered the database. It took about 10 minutes using the Oracle Migration Workbench. The rest of the six weeks so far has been spent testing and amending code....

The role of the tool is to get away from the idea of writing for one database and porting, but to design from scratch for portability and to reduce the development and support overhead of multiple targets by providing some automation. No one thinks its going to be easy or that Erwin is a panacea.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from