Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition and WebDB

From: Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:38:10 -0400

My random readings have disclosed that it is theoretically possible to upgrade a webdb app to Portal, but it depends on how much is invested in the webdb app whether it's worth the effort. I haven't seen any evidence that anyone has actually done it and it's practically a FAQ on Metalink. Doc 139853.1 describes upgrading to Portal3.0.6.6.5 (whatever that is) but of course all this involves licensing IAS etc. which is a big jump from simple webdb.

Now that I think about it, the webdb portion is its own version - 2.2 was the last as I recall. Has nothing to do with the server version so if you have a webdb CD with the 8.1.6 set it should be fine. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much/any support or info on webdb available - it was the latest greatest thing a few years ago but dropped abruptly when it metamorphosed into Portal. The Portal Center on Technet might have some helpful info - try the forum in particular.

fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC) QSS Group Oracle DBA
Avialantic.com fpierce_at_avialantic.com www.avialantic.com
MAAM WWII Weekend Airshow 2002 - June 7-9 www.maam.org/maamwwii.html