Re: Starting Career as an Oracle DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:45:00 GMT

ViRusAttack wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I am planning to pursue a career as an oracle dba, can someone guide
> me on the following.
>
> 1.What courses should I take, how long are the courses and where do I
> begin?
> 2.For certification, how many tests do I write and is this difficult?
> 3.Is there a major demand for Oracle DBA's?
> 4.How much is it for the whole package, including certification?
>
> If anyone can guide me on the right direction I would deeply
> appreciate it.
>
> Regards
>
> Jack

    [Quoted]
  1. Start by learning to be a developer. I, for one, and most serious shops I've worked with don't want an Oracle DBA that doesn't have a minimum of two years as a developer.
  2. Certification is irrelevant to getting a job. Forget the tests and concentrate on learning object and PL/SQL basics. But quite frankly based on this question I wouldn't hire you if you could walk on water. To be a mediocre DBA is reasonably easy. To be a competent one requires continuing education for the rest of your career. This question implies, to me, that you haven't got what it takes.
  3. No. There is a demand for experienced and competent DBAs. Junior people haven't got a chance which is why to get your foot in the door you need development experience.
  4. What whole package? You can download the Oracle database for free or purchase the CD pack for $39.95 USD from http://store.oracle.com. Forget the cost of certification ... you aren't ready. And won't be for a least a year.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon May 27 2002 - 17:45:00 CEST

Original text of this message