Re: Oracle or DB2

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:36:05 GMT

"Scantland André" wrote:

> As anyone migrated from DB2 to Oracle. If so here are my questions if you
> have any answers:
>
> 1- Why did you migrate
> 2- Was it a question of money or technology
> 3- What happend to your corporate applications running on DB2.
> 4- Any tips (do's and dont's) for choosing Oracle.
>
> We are planning to dump INGRESS and we have many proposition for DB2 and
> Oracle. Our major corporate applications are running under INGRESS so we
> are planning to rewrite them using Oracle or DB2.
>
> We have some applications running on Oracle but we find the licencing fee
> high and the maintenance difficult. Can anyone provide insights.
>
> Thanks
>
> andré

Licensing fees are irrelevant compared with the cost of retraining or replacing personnel. If you have in-house Oracle experience take advantage of [Quoted] it. If not then which product you choose can be tied to cost but it should be [Quoted] the full cost of ownership ... not just one piece of a very large puzzle.

I find it amazing how managers, and some techies, get hung up on licensing costs but think nothing of blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars in longer [Quoted] development cycles, debugging, training budgets, testing, and deployment because they don't really know the product.

Cost of ownership is not just a software license. Think more broadly.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon May 27 2002 - 17:36:05 CEST

Original text of this message