Re: m:n relationship in Oracle Forms?

From: Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 15:12:19 -0400

On 25 May 2002 08:07:47 +0200, Thomas Konrath <thomas.konrath_at_fh-joanneum.at> wrote:

>Bill Thorsteinson <billthor_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On 24 May 2002 18:55:15 +0200, Thomas Konrath <thomas.konrath_at_fh-joanneum.at>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Does anybody know, how I can create a module in Oracle designer 6i, where it is
>>>possible to display a m:n relationship? I am able to create the module in the
>>>designer, but when I want to generate the forms module, the error message “Many-
>>>to-one relationships are not supported by this generator” is displayed.
>>>

>>>Tbl_title(*tlt_id, tlt_name,…)
>>>Tbl_people(*ppl_id,ppl_name,…)
>>>Tbl_artist(*tlt_id, *plp_id)
>>
>>You haven't finished the design. You can do a conceptual design using M:N

>tbl_title 1:m tbl_artist n:1 tlb_people
>

>In the oracle designer, I still can not generate the module.
>If I have the table tbl_artist as a main table in a module component, I can make
>a lookup to tbl_people and tbl_title in the SAME component.
>But I want to have the table tbl_title as a new component with a key based link
>between these two components. Still, I can design this in the Oracle Designer,
>but I get an error Message, when I generate the module.
>

>Tom
I don't work with forms and haven't used designer for a while.

Step 1: What is the intent of the form?
I gather you wish to create form where you select an art work (title) and get a list of the artists who created it.

Step 2: Consider design options.
You have a couple of options that should work.

Option 1:
Make artist you main table, and the select list based on DISTINCT ttl_id.

Option 2:
Create a view on tbl_people and tbl_artist and join to the view. This should make designer happy.

.Bill Received on Sat May 25 2002 - 21:12:19 CEST

Original text of this message