Re: 2 oracle applications on the running on the same computer?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:47:53 GMT

mr wrote:

> In article <3CE164A2.9625026F_at_exesolutions.com>, "Daniel Morgan"
> <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> thanks Dan for your answer.
>
> our situation is that we cannot have a client workstation use 2
> applications that are oracle aware. app1 uses oracle srv/db1 while app2
> uses oracle srv/db2. what happens is that both installations will right
> to the registry of the client and point to the oracle db. just having
> one app works great. however, when we use 2 apps that point to different
> oracle db/servers, then the last app to get installed get precedence
> because of the rewrite to the regestry. have you seen this with oracle
> apps. i have just started to look into this problem with my db person.
>
> thanks for any help
>
> > mr wrote:
> >
> >> hello all,
> >>
> >> i was wondering if this is true. a developer who we use told us that
> >> you cannot run 2 oracle applications (one app using oracle db server1
> >> and the other app using another oracle db server) at the same time on a
> >> win9x/nt/2000/xp desktop environment.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >
> > Untrue.
> >
> > But why you would want to is another matter entirely.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

If I understand your issue ... I have never seen this happen and doubt that installing a second copy of Oracle on a machine will make any difference. I think your issue is other than where you are looking. But I look forward to other responses that may differ.

A single installation of Oracle can support multiple databases and instances. The only reason I have ever seen for installing a second working copy of the software is to run multiple version simultaneously: And I prefer to use the compatible parameter in the init.ora and ignore vendor nonsense.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 14 2002 - 21:47:53 CEST

Original text of this message