Re: the problem of Oracle.exe

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:48:04 +0400

This might indicate inapproriately high memory requirements in Oracle configuration which cause excessive paging. In Task Manager, there are two columns showing memory usage, one is Mem Size and other is VM Size, where Mem Size shows amount of physical memory currently consumed by a process, and VM Size shows amount of virtual memory dedicated to the process. (VM Size) - (Mem Size) gives amount of memory currently paged (written to disk). If this value is too high (like more than half of physical RAM) this means Windows is excessively paging Oracle process memory. To reduce memory consumption, tune your db_block_buffers

(which is buffer cache size in db_block_size's), shared_pool (which is
obviously shared pool size), java_pool_size (which is shared pool
size for Java VM processes),  log_buffer (which is redo log buffer size)
and large_pool_size (which is optional large object pool size). These values combined give you the minimum memory allocated for SGA (there's actually a bit more than that). Tune the SGA size to fit your available RAM minus 80 megs for OS needs and some 64 megs for PGAs and use LOCK_SGA parameter in init.ora to disable paging of SGA. So your ideal SGA should be around 350-380 megs and no more or performance will degrade due to paging when load increases.

Corrections and additions welcome.

--
Vladimir Zakharychev (bob_at_dpsp-yes.com)                http://www.dpsp-yes.com