Re: Passing variables between packages.

From: Mark <markg_at_mymail.co.uk>
Date: 25 Apr 2002 06:42:24 -0700

[Quoted] I'm finding this thread logic hard to follow, excuse if i sound thick!

Validation code is just that, why should it make any difference if it is in the form, database package or forms package?

Assuming a WHEN-VALIDATE trigger, if validation done in a DB package, call the function. If 'true' returned to the form, continue processing. If false raise a form_trigger_failure event and pop up your window. After user types in their value in the popup window, write that back to your field. When user tabs off, validation will occur again.

  1. Check to see if you are validating twice (ie once in WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM and once in POST-TEXT-ITEM, POST-CHANGE *heaven forbid!* etc).
  2. When the popup window activates, is it being done from inside the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger? You cant do this directly since it is a restricted procedure, if it is being done via a timer, i can see the potential for your problems.
  3. Is the form being run in client-server or over the web?
  4. Try running the form in debug mode and make a note of the triggers being called. May give you a clue as to what is going on.