Re: JDeveloper

From: A. Walter <wwalter2718_at_comcast.net>
Date: 21 Mar 2002 09:28:11 -0800

John MacAskill <jmacaski_at_bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<0ubj9ugsk3cikp14cobpokssotbes4dler_at_4ax.com>...
> You are running 2 applications that are notoriously resource hungry on an
> operating system that is not known for its stability. JDeveloper is a huge
> hulking monstrosity at the best of times (it is Java after all) and ME just
> simply isn't up to the job. Perhaps if you ran Oracle on a separate box you
> would get on better.
>
> It is also worth checking that all relevant patches have been applied to oracle
> as there are several known issues with Most Oracle products on P4's
>
> On 20 Mar 2002 17:32:11 -0800, wwalter2718_at_comcast.net (A. Walter) wrote:
>
> >All,
> >
> >Can anyone help me get JDeveloper 3.2.3 and Oracle Personal
> >8.1.something playing well together on my machine? JDeveloper tends
> >to freeze, even when I'm doing the simplest things. At these times, I
> >see the CPU% shoot to 96% or more, all going to Oracle (with less than
> >1% occasionally being granted JDeveloper). I end up having to kill
> >JDeveloper and restart it.
> >
> >I'm running Windows ME (alas!) on a 1.7GHz P4 with 512 MB memory. I
> >realize JDeveloper isn't supported on ME, but *sometimes* it works
> >okay for 10 or 15 minutes at a stretch, so I don't think I'm looking
> >at any fundamental incompatibility.
> >
> >More details forthcoming if you think they'll help...
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Andy

Thanks for the response, John.

Is version 3.2.3 written in Java? I know the 9i version is, but (strangely) it seems to run somewhat better than 3.2.3, albeit still not at all well. I'm only persisting with the older version because the book I'm working from as I learn is written for 3.2, and I don't want to needlessly confuse myself.

Since I have the free download of both these products, I'm not sure I'm entitled to any patches, but if I were, where would I find them? I haven't seen anything of the sort in my wanderings in Oracle's world...

I have a more specific problem, maybe more easily solved: When testing a JSP from the IDE, my browser will not start up to display the results. I can find, in the generated HTML directory, a "WebRunner" (or some such) html doc, which, when manually opened, executes the JSP and displays the expected result, but this is a pain.  In JD 9i, I found a place to specify the browser path (supposedly only required for non-default browsers), and setting this helps 9i do the right thing. I can't find a similar setting in 3.2.3. Any hints?

Thanks again!
Andy Received on Thu Mar 21 2002 - 18:28:11 CET

Original text of this message