Re: A simple OEM description?

From: Greg Kainz <gregkainz_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 22:17:15 GMT

"Richard" <huddler_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:MPG.16c4b1bc2af9972d9896e6_at_news.bellatlantic.net...
> I'm trying to get a high-level yet accurate grasp of what OEM is, what's
> needed to use it, and how/where to get it. I'm actively reading from the
> Oracle web site, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

OEM is a GUI interface to all those day-to-day DBA tasks that most of us still seem to prefer to do longhand, as well as GUI tools to replace that bag of scripts that we carry from client to client. You can add and manage users, schema objects, storage and parameters, etc, etc.

> OEM would be applied against an Oracle 8.0.x installation on NT, and it'd
> be best to apply OEM from a client workstation (W2K Pro or Win98). The
> question I have is what needs to be in place on the 8.0.x server, and the

Server side needs a schema to hold the OEM repository (I prefer a separate database for this) and the Intelligent agent running on each server. An Oracle Management server daemon or executable needs to be running somewhere. The client runs fine in windoze...

> client, to get this type of scenario working at all. The next question
> is where to pick it up. What costs are involved?

The basic app is bundled with the database; add-on packages for performance tuning and other features are (still?) priced extra.

> If there are URLS to very specific pages, or other information...well, as
> I've said, the help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your distribution CDs; install and run the Guided Tour... Received on Sun Feb 03 2002 - 23:17:15 CET

Original text of this message