Totally stuck with Forms6i ('reverse ON-POPULATE-DETAILS')

From: vrw <linux4me2000_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:53:28 +0100

[Quoted] Hi everyone,

First of all Merry Xmas, secondly:
I have no clue how to achieve the following in Oracle's Forms designer: I have three tables in my underlying DB, they are:

  • ----------------- | Transcription| | V_Tape |
  • ----------------- \ / \ / /|\ /|\
    | A_Tape |

(I truly hope this ASCII 'art' came over ok on your screens... In essence A_Tape is the link entity between Transcription and V_Tape.) When I now design my form, and the auto-code-generator fills in the details for A_Tape automatically (there is a parent table to Transcription, but none to V_Tape), but doesn't fill in the details for V_Tape. I guess it doesn't go 'up' the hierarchy ? So I have tried various things to display the corrent V_Tapes in V_Tape after A_Tape has been populated through Transcription, but to no avail. Forms always complains that it either cannot execute the query or it throws an exception. The fields in the tables are:
primary keys are *tablename*_no (i.e. Transcription_no, etc.) and the blocks on my form are called V_Tape, A_Tape and Transcription.

I have tried something like

SELECT A_Tape.VTape_no
INTO :V_Tape.VTape_no
FROM A_Tape,V_Tape
WHERE A_Tape.VTape_no = V_Tape.VTape_no;

Is this anything like I should have ?

Please help... I'd appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Volkmar Received on Mon Dec 24 2001 - 15:53:28 CET

Original text of this message