Re: Disable Right and Left Arrow Keys temporarily

From: Alastair Montgomery <alastair_at_technologist.com>
Date: 16 Dec 2001 02:39:16 -0800

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean because as far as I'm aware the left and right arrow keys will not navigate to other items (normally i use TAB for that). However, I do understand the problem. I frequently end up with list items in a multi-record block and pressing the down arrow to go to the next record will expand the list item instead. I can offer you the following options:

  1. Don't allow the list item to be the first navigable item in the block.

If at all possible, move the list item to a later sequence in the block so that the user will only select the item if they really want to change the value. Alternatively, if you really need to have the list where it is, then create a dummy item on the canvas (width zero) that is the first navigable item on the block. It needs to be on the canvas in order to be navigable but if it is width zero and has no bevel then it will be completely invisible. This will have the effect of hiding the cursor from the user so you may not like this look and feel.

2) Have you tried different list types?

You might find that a combo box gives you the functionality you require.

3) A List Of Values (LOV) may be what you need.

If all else fails, you can always use a normal text item and create the button yourself. It is fairly straight forward to create an iconic button with the arrow icon. The button could be placed to the left or right of your text item and perform whatever function you desire. Sounds like an LOV would suit your purposes.

Regards,
Alastair Montgomery