Re: Oracle problems.

From: Hoff Hoffman <hoffman_at_xdelta.zko.dec.nospam>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 23:23:44 GMT

In article <9uh0g8$7kk$1_at_newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Leigh G. Bowden" <LGBowden_at_bowdenfamily.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
:We have an AlphaServer 2100 4/200 with two CPU's and 1GB of memory and
:plenty of disks - all shadowed.

[Quoted]   That's a comparitively old and slow EV4-class Alpha platform, and one   gigabbyte of main memory is comparatively small by current configuration   standards.

:As far as I am aware it is using Oracle 7.1.5 on OpenVMS 6.2 AXP.

  You will want to confirm this, since this version information will   be central to most of the subsequent research that is required here.   Your version of OpenVMS Alpha lacks various of the enhancements around   sixty-four bit addressing that were added for V7.0, and thus has the   VAX limitations around stuffing most everything of consequence into   the S0 and S1 space (2TB) address range -- this probably likely will   not help with the apparent leak reported here, but I've encountered   numerous Alpha (pre-V7) systems with the resulting addressing limits.

:It appears to be unreliable. After about three weeks this system will lock
:up and the console will report "Insufficient memory for operation" type
:errors

  You will want to get the specific error message, not the type of   message. (No offense is intended.) There are many similar error   messages, and the specific and full error message text is invaluable   evidence when determining the details of the particular problem.   Abbreviations or any other alterations to the reported text should   be carefully avoided, given the likelyhood these changes will serve   only to introduce ambigiuity.

:...and will allow nobody to logon even at the console. The only way to
:get out of this to power cycle it.

  This initially appears to be a memory leak, either in OpenVMS or in   the database software. You will want to apply the mandatory ECO kits   for OpenVMS Alpha, and you will want to check with Oracle (classic,   I assume, since that is not an Rdb version) for any database patches,   and you will want to configure a sufficiently large system crashdump   file and learn how to force an OpenVMS system crash from the system   console.

  • #include <rtfaq.h> ----------------------------- For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.openvms.compaq.com
    • pure personal opinion --------------------------- Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoffman#xdelta.zko.dec.com