Re: OEM

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:39:38 +0100

"Cameron Abbott" <cvabbott_at_altavista.com> wrote in message news:9tgt6s$brj$1_at_bcarh8ab.ca.nortel.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed the OEM for Oracle 8 on a windows 98 workstation. I am
> trying to connect to an Oracle 8.1.5. database on a Sun server. I ran the
> SQL neteasy configuration but when I run any of the OEM tools, I keep
> getting the error TNS could not resolve service name. From explorer I did
> find on tnsnames.ora, it found 5 files, I checked each one and made sure
the
> entry in the file was correct.
>
> I am also connecting to the same DB using TOAD on the same machine and it
> works fine. Does TOAD not use the tnsnames.ora file? and if it does, then
> it must be correct or TOAD would not be able to connect.
>
> What else should I look at. Are there any entries in the registry that
need
> to be changed for the OEM to work?
>
> Thanks
> Cameron

TOAD definitely uses tnsnames.ora, however it will look in different directories depending on the switches you have set in the connect dialog box.
As you don't specify these I can't tell you which file it is using. It also very amazing you got 5 tnsnames.ora files after one install. The only correct one for net8 is in
%ORACLE_HOME%\net80\admin
[Quoted] [Quoted] or the directory pointed to by the TNS_ADMIN registry variable in HKLM\software\oracle.

Note : syntactical errors (missing parentheses etc) will also _always_ result in ora-12154, regardless of the servicename you are using.

Other than that the only thing you can do is to enable trace in the sqlnet.ora you are supposedly using. I explained how to do this many times in all oracle related newsgroups. Search for trace_level_client = 16 and follow the instructions.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA