Re: Forms 6i Can't Login

From: Topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2001 09:16:07 -0800

Hold on a minute,

What is the 'installation manual'? Is it a Readme file, or a physical book? I could not find any file resembling an 'installation manual'.

The Net8 configuration assistant can't find anything. Every option I click on says that something or other cannot be found.

I tried to also install Oracle 9i Lite, hoping it would do what the other install could not. However, I get this Java Crash during installation:

Net8 Configuration:
Net8 Listener Startup:

    Running Listener Control:
      C:\Oracle\iSetup\bin\lsnrctl start null IOException: While trying to run Listener Control: Exception in thread "main" java.util.NoSuchElementException

        at java.util.StringTokenizer.nextToken(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.net.ca.SilentConfigure.silentConfigureNetServiceNames(Compiled
 Code)
        at oracle.net.ca.SilentConfigure.silentConfigureNamingMethods(Compiled
ode)

        at oracle.net.ca.SilentConfigure.performSilentConfigure(Compiled Code)

        at oracle.net.ca.NetCA.<init>(NetCA.java)
        at oracle.net.ca.NetCA.main(NetCA.java)

(Lite == 300 megs??????)

I have an urge to paste my "How many people does it take to install an Oracle Light-bulb" joke, but I will breath deep and be semi-patient for now. Why can't it give me a simple drop-down list with ODBC sources on it. I pick an ODBC source, and it would be instantly DB-enabled. There is no excuse for the e-bureaucracy I am getting.

> That option doesn't exist, nor does the 'I don't want to read the
> installation manual' option.
> You need to configure sqlnet. Apparently you haven't done that yet.
> Please read the installation manual carefully and run the net8
> configuration assistant to get a correct listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and
> tnsnames.ora
>
> Hth
>

> Hth
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

-T- Received on Mon Nov 19 2001 - 18:16:07 CET

Original text of this message