Re: When to use PL/SQL Server Pages?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:22:53 +0300

In Oracle's approach to PSP, each PSP page is compiled into a stored procedure. So there is no detectable difference in performance between 'pure' PL/SQL packages and Oracle PSP pages. There are several mitigating factors though which limits use of PSP to fairly simple and rarely changed web applications: each time you change the code you have to reload and recompile it using a command-line utility, you can not easily reuse the PSP pages, you are limited only to parameters you specify in PSP source (names and types) when invoking particular PSP page, etc.

Dynamic PSP approach is quite different. Although DPSP shares Oracle PSP syntax, it really stores page source in the database and compiles it on-the-fly when requested during development phase thus allowing you to see changes you made to the page immediately. When you're done with development, each page can be compiled into a package (and with Oracle9i native PL/SQL compilation you can achieve nearly the same performance as that of standalone compiled CGI programs). Dynamic PSP also provides web-based development environment (you develop and test using your favorite browser), advanced built-in functions for effective code reuse, debugging and profiling, and more. Each DPSP object can accept any number of parameters, objects can 'call' each other passing in any parameters they need and either embed output into its own output or receive it as string (varchar2), string array or CLOB for further processing. Features and performance of DPSP allow to use it in very complex web applications.

You can see Dynamic PSP in action by checking out Live Demo or download a free trial copy at http://www.dpsp-yes.com.

--
Vladimir Zakharychev (bob_at_dpsp-yes.com)                http://www.dpsp-yes.com