Re: controlling SQLLdr's commit operations

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:32:40 -0700

Menelaos Perdikeas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to import large amounts of data using the SQL loader tool and
> since I want this
> to be an atomic operation I was wondering if there is any way to
> configure SQL loader
> to do a commit only at the (successful) end of a large transaction.
> Setting the size of the
> bind array (as described in "Determining the size of the Bind Array"
> in Oracle's documentation) to a value large enough to hold all the
> rows, even if sth. like
> that were possible doesn't seem very deterministic to me. So, is there
> a pattern in dealing
> with this type of situation or does one have to write PLSQL or OCI
> calls oneself
> to do the importing in the intended way ??
>
> Thanks,
> Menelaos Perdikeas.
Sure, you can do this...but what about when the data exceeds the size of the buffer?

[Quoted] IMHO, You should always load into tables that are not a permanent part [Quoted] of your application's "normal" schema (i.e. staging tables). If there [Quoted] is a problem, you can always truncate and start again after the fix. From there you can use PL/SQL or some other method to move into your "normal" tables.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA