Re: Oracle Portal Admin Skills Requried?

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 21:06:07 +0100

Dave <davideckhardt_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> We're looking at Oracle portal for its "Intranet", and Personalized portal
> capabilities.
> Our IT team currently possesses NO Oracle skills, (We're an AS400 Shop)
>
> Is it foolish for us to pursue the Oracle portal?

I'd say yes, it's foolish. Product installation should be done by an experienced Oracle DBA (with access to the relevant information on Metalink, preferably) and then there is the Apache configuration, etc. After all that, you start designing and developing your app, and then you realize that you have to know relational database design, SQL, PL/SQL, perhaps Java, and finally the Portal APIs.

And of course, when you're already several months into the project, you may realize that Portal isn't the right product for your objectives...

> Are the skills required to setup and maintain this product "easily" learned
> by our AS400 group?

Without knowing the specifics of your group it's impossible to give a meaningful reply. However, were I in your position, I'd avoid Oracle Portal.

Regards
Sebastiano Pilla Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 21:06:07 CET

Original text of this message