Re: Simple questions about Import/Export

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:56:54 +0200

Answers embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker,
Senior Oracle DBA

"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:7c3csts5fo4joooh12aipd3ms0oatdheie_at_4ax.com...
> Hello
>
> I need a copy of a production DB ("prod") for experiments, let's call
> it "test". I have already set up "test" by executing an backup'ed
> trace file from "prod" and copying "prod"'s files to the machine where
> "test" runs (after first having shut down "prod").

[Quoted] In that case you probably already have the database. Try to start it and see what happens.
No need to perform the export import route if it works, you already have a clone.

> I guess that it would be easier just to use the export utility on
> "prod" and import the dmp file into "test", but I am not sure if that
> will work, because:
>
> "test" is an instance on a different machine;

No problem

> the instance name "test" differs from the original "prod";

Again no problem, the instance name is not in the export, nor is the database name

> I don't know if an import would overwrite the content of "test" with
> the content of "prod" or if the data will be just added (I need an
> exact copy, so it should overwrite);

The data will be added, but if "test" empty that doesn't matter. The dictionary is never exported, but recreated during export.
> I don't know if a hot export of "prod" would be consistent to be
> importet into "test". I am talking about full export/import. It would
> be fine if I could make those exports without shutting down the "prod"
> DB.

If you shut down the db, you can't export anymore, the database has to be up.
You can of course prevent access to non-dba's by
alter system enable restricted_session (or restricted_session enable, it's in sql reference manual)
As this is a test database it is not a big deal when you loose some records.

> Excuse me for these questions but I am a UNIX admin who just happens
> to have participated in an Oracle Admin Training three weeks ago and
> have no experience at all. In the training course, we handled the
> export/import utilities very short and only as a way to backup
> databases. In my case, I don't want a backup but a second instance to
> play with.

Export is for *logical* backup (as opposed to *physical* backup only) I'm now working at a site where the DBA considers the export to be a *physical backup*. He is *wrong* and he is a colleague consultant, although junior, but he should have know better.