Simple questions about Import/Export

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:22:21 +0200

Hello

[Quoted] I need a copy of a production DB ("prod") for experiments, let's call it "test". I have already set up "test" by executing an backup'ed trace file from "prod" and copying "prod"'s files to the machine where
"test" runs (after first having shut down "prod").

[Quoted] I guess that it would be easier just to use the export utility on
"prod" and import the dmp file into "test", but I am not sure if that
will work, because:

"test" is an instance on a different machine;

[Quoted] the instance name "test" differs from the original "prod";

[Quoted] [Quoted] I don't know if an import would overwrite the content of "test" with the content of "prod" or if the data will be just added (I need an exact copy, so it should overwrite);

[Quoted] I don't know if a hot export of "prod" would be consistent to be importet into "test". I am talking about full export/import. It would be fine if I could make those exports without shutting down the "prod" DB.

[Quoted] Excuse me for these questions but I am a UNIX admin who just happens to have participated in an Oracle Admin Training three weeks ago and have no experience at all. In the training course, we handled the export/import utilities very short and only as a way to backup databases. In my case, I don't want a backup but a second instance to play with.

[Quoted] Oracle 8.1.7/Solaris 2.7

Thanks

Rick Received on Thu Oct 11 2001 - 23:22:21 CEST

Original text of this message