Re: init.ora with JDBC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:06:17 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] "David W. Forslund" <dwforslund_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3B9F81A1.12117817_at_yahoo.com...
> Can I set initialization variables that are in the init.ora with a JDBC
> client? Or is init.ora only for use on the server side? I don't see
> this discussed in the Oracle documentation (for 8.1.7)
>
> Dave Forslund

You can change appropiate parameters with alter session and/or alter system [Quoted] [Quoted] commands. You won't however change them permanently. Which parameters are appropiate to change is in the v$parameter view. I can't imaging this isn't discussed in the Oracle Server Administrators manual.
[Quoted] [Quoted] Personally, I would advise *strongly* against implementing this is jdbc, as [Quoted] [Quoted] you allow clients from anywhere to create havoc on your database. I would try to change parameters permanently if I were you.

Regards,

[Quoted] Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Sep 12 2001 - 19:06:17 CEST

Original text of this message