Re: init.ora with JDBC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:02:50 +0200

[Quoted] [Quoted] "David W. Forslund" <dwforslund_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3BA0C6B0.7D17BA3A_at_yahoo.com...

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > "David W. Forslund" <dwforslund_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Can I set initialization variables that are in the init.ora with a
JDBC
> > > client? Or is init.ora only for use on the server side? I don't see
> > > this discussed in the Oracle documentation (for 8.1.7)
> > >
> > > Dave Forslund
> > >

> > You can change appropiate parameters with alter session and/or alter
system
> > commands. You won't however change them permanently.
> > Which parameters are appropiate to change is in the v$parameter view.
> > I can't imaging this isn't discussed in the Oracle Server Administrators
> > manual.
>
> It may be but it doesn't come up in a search and looking for it is like
> looking for a needle in a haystack. I do see the v$parameter call.
> I want to change it with an alter session anyway and not have it be
permanent.
> It seems that only a few parameters are alterable with the ALTER SESSION
> command.
> I want to change the max number of CURSORS and perhaps the CASE
INSENSITIVE
> parameter (available in Oracle Forms), but those are not listed as
parameters
> that
> can be changed with Alter Session.
>

> > Personally, I would advise *strongly* against implementing this is jdbc,
as
> > you allow clients from anywhere to create havoc on your database.
> > I would try to change parameters permanently if I were you.
>
> We don't let external users run jdbc, so I don't see that it is a problem.
If
> we did,
> what would stop them from running this command anyway? Implementing it in
JDBC
> is
> the same as letting someone execute SQL calls, so what's the difference.
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Dave Forslund

[Quoted] [Quoted] So you want to allow *all* your users to issue alter system commands. My fee is 100 euro per hour, expenses not included , just in case anything seriously goes wrong. You'll loose control doing so? Do you want that? Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.