Re: ora-12154: problem from localhost???

From: Matt B. <gtimatt_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:06:18 GMT

"Kankossa" <kily_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:2e16cdb7.0108271244.1c687992_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> Can someone telling what is the difference between typing:
>
> "sqlplus system/manager_at_ORCL" on a localhost
> and from a client.
>
> This maybe norm, but I need to understand:
> - typing the above string from localhost of my database fails with
> error:ora-12154, but when omitting "_at_ORCL" I can connect to the
> database.
> - No problem when connected from any distant client.
>
> is the "_at_ORACL", where ORCL is my ORACLE_SID do not be used on the
> localhost to connect?

Your host server (I'm guessing it's a UNIX box and you're typing sqlplus... at a shell?) has a tnsnames.ora file that's on the server and your client machine also has one on your client (or is at least pathed to one somewhere). These files may not be the same file. Your "ORCL" database setup in the server tnsnames might not be set up (or it can't find the file in the path), so that's probably why it doesn't work. Leaving it off probably means that your TWO_TASK and ORACLE_SID variables are set and it uses those and they point to a valid database.

-Matt Received on Tue Aug 28 2001 - 06:06:18 CEST

Original text of this message