Re: Could not resolve service name

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:44:39 GMT

William O'Neill wrote:

> Have just installed Oracle Enterprise 8.1.7. Installation went fine, long, [Quoted]
> but fine....
> Attempted to use SQL*PLUS to talk to the DB; attempted to connect using
> SYSTEM, MANAGER, DB, but kept getting TNS: count not resolve service name.
> TNSNAMES.ora does have an entry for DB. Saw another posting about setting
> up SQLNET? Where, how?
> Used DBA Studio to check to see if I was connected at the time, and I was.
> Any suggestions. Have been using Steve Bobrowski's book as a guide. Still
> no luck. Thank you.
[Quoted] > Bill....

First a bit of a rant:

Why couldn't you mention your hardware platform and operating system? Does your [Quoted] ISP charge by the word? Do you think WinNT is the same as Solaris? How about [Quoted] the ORA-##### message number? Do you get charged extra for that too?

I, and I am sure others, don't mind helping with problems. That's part of most [Quoted] of why we come here. But why make it so darned difficult for us by not giving [Quoted] us enough information to do more than guess.

The guess:

You are working on a Windows platform and didn't set up your TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and/or LISTENER.ORA.

Did you run the database assistant?

Have you gone into START / SETUP / CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / ENVIRONMENT and [Quoted] added oracle_sid as an environment variable? Is oracle\ora81\ in your Windows path?

[Quoted] Conclusion:

If this doesn't solve your problem try providing enough information for someone [Quoted] to actually help you.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:44:39 CEST

Original text of this message