Re: Could not resolve service name

From: William O'Neill <wfoneill_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:44:44 GMT

Thank you, Daniel for responding.
Sorry about not providing all the information you needed to properly assist me. I am working on a standalone system(not connected to a network), using WIN2K; have Oracle Enterprise 8.1.7 installed; today I can connect to the db using SQL*PLUS. Will try to be more complete in the future. Bill....

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3B10A7E0.D3B8FD8A_at_exesolutions.com...
> William O'Neill wrote:
>
> > Have just installed Oracle Enterprise 8.1.7. Installation went fine,
 long,
> > but fine....
> > Attempted to use SQL*PLUS to talk to the DB; attempted to connect using
> > SYSTEM, MANAGER, DB, but kept getting TNS: count not resolve service
 name.
> > TNSNAMES.ora does have an entry for DB. Saw another posting about
 setting
> > up SQLNET? Where, how?
> > Used DBA Studio to check to see if I was connected at the time, and I
 was.
> > Any suggestions. Have been using Steve Bobrowski's book as a guide.
 Still
> > no luck. Thank you.
> > Bill....
>
> First a bit of a rant:
>
> Why couldn't you mention your hardware platform and operating system? Does
 your
> ISP charge by the word? Do you think WinNT is the same as Solaris? How
 about
> the ORA-##### message number? Do you get charged extra for that too?
>
> I, and I am sure others, don't mind helping with problems. That's part of
 most
> of why we come here. But why make it so darned difficult for us by not
 giving
> us enough information to do more than guess.
>
> The guess:
>
> You are working on a Windows platform and didn't set up your TNSNAMES.ORA,
> SQLNET.ORA and/or LISTENER.ORA.
>
> Did you run the database assistant?
>
> Have you gone into START / SETUP / CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / ENVIRONMENT
 and
> added oracle_sid as an environment variable? Is oracle\ora81\ in your
 Windows