Issue: IE -> IIS -> Oracle 8.1.7 - Remote os authentication on Itranet

From: Kresimir Fabijanic <kresimir_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:41:29 GMT

Dear all

I have a problem that may or may not have a satisfactory solution:

I want to enable the users connecting to intranet web site to access Oracle 8i as themselves. We can do it on Bill Gates (MS SQL Server) - i.e. a user (lets say Fred) is logged on a Bill Gates domain (i.e. NT network), opens a connection to Bill Gates (IIS) (which was installed as Horace and has IIS service as System) using Bill Gates (IE) and when some Bill Gates code (ASP) opens the connection to Bill Gates (SQL Server) the system user is recognised as the Fred.

When we use oracle, the same set of events causes Horace to appear as OSUSER in v$session - is there a way to achieve the same - i.e. connect to Oracle as Fred - is there a bit of ASP code, IIS or Oracle settings that need to be set that will enable IIS to connect to Oracle as Fred.

I will be looking at other web resources, but if someone has already figured it out, any input will be appreciated.

System is build on IE 5.5, latest version of IIS on Win2K advanced server, Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.

Thanks in Advance

Kresimir Fabijanic Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 23:41:29 CEST

Original text of this message