How do you get a verticle list of table columns plus sample value?

From: John Perkins <jperkins_at_cwcom.zap.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 01:05:55 +0100

Can anyone offer a method of obtaining a sample record from a table which lists each column vertically plus a sample value? VAX Datatrieve has a very useful command called LIST which does this but I haven't found an Oracle or Steven Feuerstein package that does a similar job. I have used a complex PL/SQL loop using ALL_TAB_COLUMNS but am having a job getting this to generate dynamic SQL in the spooled output. For example, the output from SCOTT.EMP would look like this:

EMPNO		7521
ENAME		WARD
JOB		SALESMAN
MGR		7698
HIREDATE	22-Feb-81
SAL		1250
COMM		500
DEPTNO		30

Any suggestions welcomed!
TIA,
John Received on Sun Jul 01 2001 - 02:05:55 CEST

Original text of this message