Re: Designer 6i install problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 18:10:08 +0100

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:34:18 -0500, dragana <dragana_bgd_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm running Win98 and installed Oracle 8i Personal Edition successfully.
>When I start installation for Designer 6i I get the following warning:
>
>The location specified, "C:\orawin95", is already used as an Oracle home
>for 'Oracle 815 Production'. It cannot be used as an Oracle home for 'win95'.
>
>If I try to change the location I run into problems with Oracle Net8 Client
>which
>doesn't support multiple installations.
>
>I would appreciate if somebody can explain what this warning really means,
>and how would I resolve the problem.

You're not going to like this response, but it is inevitable, so here goes.
Designer 6i (made by a different development team) doesn't understand multiple Oracle homes. Hence, it should be installed in the DEFAULT oracle_home, and it should be installed *FIRST*. Personal Oracle 8i does understand multiple Oracle_homes, so it should be installed in a second ORACLE_HOME, say ora8i.
So you should

-*deinstall Personal Oracle 8i* (I said I can't help it)
- install Designer 6i in the default Oracle_home as shown above
- install Personal Oracle 8i in a *different* Oracle_home.
- for NET8 problems, see a previous reply (5 seconds ago) to a
different post, which adresses this issue

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Mar 02 2001 - 18:10:08 CET

Original text of this message