Re: VERY URGENT! Oracle linux Installer problem

From: kurt <kurti_at_kurti.cc>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:23:09 +0100

I cant remember if I had exactly the same errors. But I think so. After asking oracle support they told me to make sure that there is enough RAM and enough swap-space, as you need much much space to install.

As I had enough RAM (>=256 MB) I simply encreased swap-space and it worked. Another thing is to use the right version of JRE. take a quick look at the doc-directory and read the pre-installation-steps. There they say which version to use and other usefull hints (environment variables, space, etc.)

kurt :-)

Jim Brennan wrote:

> I tried several times with 8.1.7 on Redhat with similar frustration. I did
> succeed with Mandrake 7.2
> If you dont need the features of 8.1.7 I suggest 8.1.6 it is a much easier
> install, and a whole lot less frustration
>
> chuckmachi <chuckmachi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am trting to install Oracle 8i (8.1.7) on a Red Had 6.2 Server and keep
> > getting an error when starting the runInstaller script.
> > The error is as follows:
> >
> > oracle_at_ff:/root/Oracle8iR2 > Initializing Java Virtual Machine

 from../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/
> > jre.Please wait...current locale is not supported in X11, locale is set to
> > CX locale modifiersare not supported, using defaultWarning: translation
> > table syntax error:Unknown keysym name: osfActivateWarning: ... found
 while
> > parsing ':<Key>osfActivate:ManagerParentActivate()'Warning: String to
> > TranslationTable conversion encountered errorsWarning: translation table
> > syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfBeginLineWarning: ... found while
> > parsing ':<Key>osfBeginLine:ManagerGadgetTraverseHome()'Warning: String to
> > TranslationTable conversion encountered errorsWarning: translation table
> > syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfHelpWarning: ... found while parsing
> > ':<Key>osfHelp:ManagerGadgetHelp()'Warning: String to TranslationTable
> > conversion encountered errorsWarning: translation table syntax error:
> > Unknown keysym name: osfActivateWarning: ... found while parsing
> > ':<Key>osfActivate: DrawingAreaInput()ManagerParentActivate()'Warning:
> > String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errorsWarning:
 translation
> > table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfUpWarning: ... found while
> > parsing ':<Key>osfUp: DrawingAreaInput()ManagerGadgetTraverseUp()'Warning:
> > String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errorsSIGSEGV received
 at
> > bfffe938

 in/root/Oracle8iR2/stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expande