Re: Forms 6i : Stange error

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_ds.znet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:14:55 -0800

"Jérôme PERRET" <jperret_at_freesurf.fr> wrote in message news:93k1pl$m6s$1_at_wanadoo.fr...
> Hi,
>
> I have a PL/SQL librairie containing 5 procedures. One of them is called by
> another stored in the same librairie. When I call this last procedure, I get
> the following error message :
>
> FRM-21011 : PL/SQL unhandled exception ORA-06508
>
> But when I ran in debug mode, i got *NO* error and it works !
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Jerome

I can't answer exactly, but I know we've had many annoying problems with Forms 5 and above when it comes to libraries and having any kind of recursive calls or attachments or if you create a local program unit in a form with the same name as a library program unit. I'd say it's simply best to avoid those situations by coding a different way. Seems like Forms simply has a problem managing program units and libraries.

For example, if form A calls form B, and both forms have a library attached and a procedure in the library is called MY_PROC, and form A has a local copy of that program unit (overriding the library in Form A), if Form B calls MY_PROC, it attempts to actually call the MY_PROC that's local to Form A and eventually a PL/SQL runtime dump sometimes happens. (This is on a UNIX box in character mode, BTW.) Irritating, but true.

Anyway, try to avoid situations like that until Oracle manages to sort things out.

-Matt Received on Sun Jan 14 2001 - 23:14:55 CET

Original text of this message