NLS_LANG: Eastern characters return ??? marks

From: JustMe <Nhuan_at_Lieu.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:20:52 GMT

Hi, I have situation below that needs expert advice.

TASK: load into the table (called LANGUAGE_TEXT as seen below) with the following languages: English, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Korean, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Complex Chinese, Portuguese, Hungarian, Polish, Greek, Russian, Swedish, Turkish & Czech.

PROBLEM STATEMENT: Loading languages with Western characters are OK; while Eastern characters (Japanese, Chinese, etc.) aren't.

On the client side, I received a XLS spreadsheet from our user that contains all the above languages and I _can_ see/read both Western & Eastern characters just fine. In other words, my client was able to encode the characters for display using Excel.

However, when I attempt to cut-and-paste Eastern characters into the Notepad editor/SQLPlus prompt/TOAD, it becomes "?????". Althought, I can cut-and-paste/insert into table Western characters just fine.

In summary, Eastern characters return ??? marks after supposedly configured environment properly (see below for configuration setup's). Did I missed a step or 2? Any help would be appreciated.

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION & ENVIRONMENT:
1. Configured the Oracle on WinNT 4 database server with "UTF8" character set.
2. Configured the SQLPlus/TOAD client by setting NLS_LANG in the registry
(in HKLM\software\oracle\NLS_LANG value = "SIMPLIFIED CHINESE_SINGAPORE.UTF8") from default
of "AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1".
3. Configured the Win2000 client by setting Control Panel/Regional Settings/General/your (locale) location to "Chinese - Singapore" from a default of "English - US".

> SELECT * FROM V$VERSION;
Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production
CORE Version 4.0.6.0.0 - Production
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.0.6.0.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 3.3.3.0.0 - Production

> DESC LANGUAGE_TEXT;

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 LANGUAGE_ID                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(5)
 LABEL_ID                        NOT NULL VARCHAR2(100)
 LABEL_TEXT                               NVARCHAR2(2000)

> SELECT * FROM V$NLS_PARAMETERS ;
PARAMETER & VALUE (results re-formatted)

NLS_CALENDAR - GREGORIAN
NLS_CHARACTERSET- UTF8
NLS_CURRENCY - S$
NLS_DATE_FORMAT- DD/MM/YY