Whats the best development tool for Oracle 8i?

From: Charles <charles_at_vertigen1999.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:35:22 -0000

[Quoted] [Quoted] Any advice, or experiences will be greatly appreciated....

I will be using Oracle 8i to store several million rows of data in roughly 40 tables.
The destination platform will be an NT box probably 1.4Ghz + box with plenty of memory (maybe 1 gig).
No network, just a single PC with a front end and the Oracle RDBMS.

Question:

What is the best 4GL development tool to develop a front end to display the data in various predefined
and user defined ways? (On the fly query generation I guess).

I would ideally like to use something new(ish).

My thoughts are:

Forms,
VB
[Quoted] VJava etc....

I need something which will work reasonably quick, with a decent look and feel to it.
(I have to consider testing tools available for this product, as I need 100%
statement coverage - or as near as possible). If there is a COTS testing product which goes hand in hand with the development tool, then all the better.

Can anyone shed some light on which would be the best to use? (Given about 4 months to comlete the task).

(I have previous Windows 4GL/RDBMS Ingres experience with plenty of 3GL
thrown in).

Thanks very much for any input.

Charles. Received on Thu Jan 04 2001 - 23:35:22 CET

Original text of this message