Re: Whats the best development tool for Oracle 8i?

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:08:18 GMT

Well, I don't know about the best tool, but we use : Forms 6i:
 has a very good integration with Oracle  excellent if you know PL/SQL
 is not exactly my idea of an easy-to-use tool Visual Foxpro 6.0:
 very good object orientation (inheritance etc.)  lousy report writer
 nasty 0c00005 bug (GPF on all Win95/W98/ME/NT4/W2K)  excellent debugger, development environment VB 6.0:
 poor object orientation (no real inheritance)  easy to learn
 nasty bugs, but well known for all that jDeveloper (and Borland jBuilder 3.5):
 painfully slow IDE
 lousy debugging
 slow runtime (and I don't care what O.. says, it's too slow)  gets very complex very quickly

Hth

Ted

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:35:22 -0000, "Charles" <charles_at_vertigen1999.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Any advice, or experiences will be greatly appreciated....
>
>I will be using Oracle 8i to store several million rows of data in roughly
>40 tables.
>The destination platform will be an NT box probably 1.4Ghz + box with
>plenty of memory (maybe 1 gig).
>No network, just a single PC with a front end and the Oracle RDBMS.
>
>Question:
>
>What is the best 4GL development tool to develop a front end to display the
>data in various predefined
>and user defined ways? (On the fly query generation I guess).
>
>I would ideally like to use something new(ish).
>
>My thoughts are:
>
>Forms,
>VB
>VJava etc....
>
>I need something which will work reasonably quick, with a decent look and
>feel to it.
>(I have to consider testing tools available for this product, as I need 100%
>statement coverage - or as near as possible). If there is a COTS testing
>product which goes hand in hand with the development tool, then all the
>better.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on which would be the best to use? (Given about 4
>months to comlete the task).
>
>(I have previous Windows 4GL/RDBMS Ingres experience with plenty of 3GL
>thrown in).
>
>Thanks very much for any input.
>
>Charles.

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Fri Jan 05 2001 - 20:08:18 CET

Original text of this message