Re: Web portion of Designer Tutorial

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:31:41 GMT

Van Messner wrote:

> Your response should be "huh?!". In this little sentence is a ton of work.

Well... Not exactly.

> You'll want to read about setting up an Oracle product like WebDB (now
> called portal to go, I think), a web server and Apache.

All three come with a HTTP listener (often referred to as webserver), so installing all three would be overkill.
Just install iAS - webserver part only, and you'll have Apache http deamon, with mod_plsql, which will allow the database connect. All else should then come out of the database; generated, of course. You do need the basic htp packages (see installation guide for wsg), and the error suff is located in the cgens60 (regarded as a server package, not exclusive
wsg anymore).

> It is certainly not
> worth doing this for the lick and a promise you'll get from the tutorial.
> But if your long term goal is to use Designer to produce web applications
> you'll have to get into all this stuff. Start with the O'Reilly book on
> Oracle Web Applications - it's short enough to read this weekend - for a
> good overview. Then download whichever Oracle products you've decided to
> use and get a copy of Apache off the web. The book is slightly out of
> date - OAS has been replaced by iAS - but the general ideas are still valid.
>
> Van
>
> "Ken Harvey" <Ken.Harvey_at_iconmedialab.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have been working through the Designer 6i tutorial, (yes I know people
> > think it is rubbish. But I would like to fiish it). The last chapter is
> > 'Generate a Web Application'. However, it says I require the following.
> >
> > "Note: You can follow this lesson only if Oracle's Web PL/SQL Generator
 has
> > been installed and a web server is available. You will need a username,
> > password and connect string for the web server, and these may be different
> > to those you have been using for the previous lessons. You will also need
> > know the full path of a web browser executable and the web agent URL. Your
> > System Administrator will be able to tell you these if Web PL/SQL
 Generator

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel